الحمد لله وحده، والصلاة والسلام على من لا نبي بعده، وعلى آله وصحبه، أما بعد
The following selection of statements and observations were made by the Muhaddith of Al-Madeenah Shaikh Hammaad bin Muhammad Al-Ansaaree (rahimahullaah) with regards to the innovated sects and groups in warning against their deviancy and exposing their misguidance. For the purpose of reference; each quote is followed by its source to its relevant volume, page and citation number.
The Shaikh (rahimahullaah) said:
1. The Raafidhah are the hypocrites of this Ummah. (2/477/5)
2. The Mu’tazilah and the Khawaarij – their beliefs are one. (2/478/12)
3. The innovators – and they are those that deny the attributes (of Allaah). They studied philosophy and theological rhetoric before their study of The Book and the Sunnah; due to this they fell into denying the attributes. (2/485/70)
4. The Mu’tazilee rejects all of the attributes of Allaah. (2/480/28)
5. I entered Masjid An-Nabawee on an occasion and saw a large group sat under the great clock, so I asked one of them regarding them so he said: ‘they are the Jamaa’ah At-Tableegh.’ So I said to him: ‘what are they propagating?’ he said: ‘they are propagating da’wah in these Arab countries.’ I said to him: ‘have they propagated to the Sikhs and to the Buddhists?’ Then I said to him: ‘This group does not desire knowledge; nor do they seek it, so with this way they make more corruption than they make rectification.’
I know the Jamaa’ah At-Tableegh well, in ‘Aqeedah they are Maatureedee Chistee and in Madhab they are fanatical Hanafees.
I delivered a lecture once in a Masjid in Al-Jurf in Al-Madeenah, so when I began to conduct the lecture; there was a group from the Tableeghees in the Masjid who all exited at the beginning of the lecture. (2/587/267)
6. Indeed the later Ash’arees renounce the work: Al-Ibaanah and Al-Maqaalaat of Abil-Hasan Al-Ash’aree, they likewise reject its confirmed affiliation to him – yet their renunciation and their rejection is false. (2/724/118)
7. Sufism/Mysticism is composed of: Judaism and the Magian religion and paganism as well as Islamic elements, and Islaam is only in name – and they are the brothers of the colonial Imperialists. (2/488/94)
8. Indeed in the world today the Sufi tareeqahs (orders of Sufism) are forty tareeqahs. (2/546/422)
9. Indeed the Ash’arees believe in some of the names and attributes (i.e. of Allaah), as for the Mu’tazilah; then they believe in attributes and names – but without a meaning. (2/489/98)
10. The Ash’arees are innovators, and they are closer to Ahlus Sunnah than the Mu’tazilah and the Jahmiyyah. (2/478/15)
11. Whoever follows up the circumstances of the Rawaafidh will come to see that they are sayings which no one would say except the disbelievers, and the majority (of the people of knowledge) are upon takfeer of them (i.e. that they are disbelievers). (2/498/159)
13. The Ash’aree is from the Mu’tazilee, and the Mu’tazilee is from the Jahmee, and the Maatureedee is from the Mu’tazilee, and the Mu’tazilee and the Jahmee believe that Allaah, The Mighty and Majestic is in every place, and they took from each other. (2/534/348)
14. Indeed the Ikhwaan Al-Muslimeen (the Muslim Brotherhood) are from the helpers of Al-Khomainee and the Raafidhah. (2/699/118)
15. Indeed all of the superstitious absurdities can be found in the Sufi tareeqahs. (2/487/83)
16. Indeed the Maatureedees and the Ash’arees are both Murji-ah, likewise the Jahmiyyah are Murji-ah. (2/765/39)
17. The Suroorees are a group that isolated from the Ikhwaan Al-Muslimeen, it now resides in London. (2/765/40)
18. The Qadarees are from the Mu’tazilah, and everyone that denies the qadar (predecree) then he is a Mu’tazilee. (2/766/42)
19. Indeed the Jahmiyyah are disbelievers. (2/243/402)
20. The later Hanafees are all Maaturidees, and in tareeqah (i.e. Sufi order) they are Naqshabandees.
The Maalikees are mostly Ash’aree Kullaabees and in tareeqah they are Tijaaniyyah.
The Shaafi’ees in Yemen and in Eastern Africa are like the Maalikees, and in tareeqah they are Rafaa’iyyah.
Those – they are the ones who squandered (i.e. failed to take advantage of) Islaam and were a trial for the disbelievers. (2/480/27)
21. The Maatureediyyah are the students of the Ash’arees, they agreed with them in everything except in six issues. (2/486/72)
22. Do not draw near to the group of the Ikhwaan Al-Muslimeen, since all that is with them is doubtful. (2/561/60)
23. The Sufis; their worship is play. (2/490/105)
24. The Jabariyyah say: the servant has no action for himself, so he is like a feather in the wind.
– The Qadariyyah are the opposite of the Jabariyyah.
– The Jabariyyah are more deserving with the name of Qadariyyah, and the Jabariyyah enter into the title of the Qadariyyah.
– The Khawaarij define Eemaan as: the speech of the tongue and the belief of the heart, and the action of the limbs – and that it does not increase nor does it decrease with sin, rather with the sin it departs entirely.
– The Murji-ah say: it is the speech of the tongue and the belief of the heart – and they are groups.
– The Karaamiyyah say: it is the speech of the tongue. (2/493/125)
25. When the Ash’arees affirmed the seven attributes, they did not affirm them because they had been stated in the Qur’aan; rather they affirmed them because the intellect did not oppose them. Had it been because of the Qur’aan; they would have affirmed the rest of the attributes. (2/499/161)
26. The Khawaarij are those who have exited from the affairs of the Shar’iyyah; and the Khawaarij of before are the Khawaarij of today. Someone present asked the Shaikh: ‘the Khawaarij of today – is it to be said of them that they are the ones that rebel against the ruler?’ the Shaikh replied: ‘it is not restricted to this, rather it is also said of everyone who exits from the affairs of the Shar’iyyah.’ (2/521/269)
27. There is not to be found a Raafidhee in the world except that he is Mu’tazilee in ‘Aqeedah. (2/520/263)
28. Indeed the Raafidhah; if they become fearful – then they are silent with regards to their innovation; and so they conceal their hypocrisy. As for when they are not fearful; then they manifest and openly declare their hypocrisy and their vulgarity. (2/545/419)
29. The Ash’arees erred in twelve issues which can be divided into a difference pertaining to literal wording and a difference in meaning, six being in meaning and six being in literal wording. That which has been stated from the Ash’arees that they believe in – or affirm seven attributes, then these seven are from the attributes that are dhaatiyyah (those pertaining to Allaah’s Self) as for the attributes that are fi’liyyah (those pertaining to Allaah’s actions) – then they believe in nothing from them. The seven attributes that they claim to have Eemaan in; then they believe in them because the intellect is in agreement with them – not because the proofs have come regarding them. (2/494/132)
30. Those that deny the attributes (i.e. of Allaah) call everyone that opposes them as: Mushabahah (i.e. those that make a resemblance of Allaah to His creation). (2/534/351)
(Taken from: Majmu’ fee tarjumah Hammaad Al-Ansaaree)
 Shaikh ul Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullaah) said in Minhaaj us Sunnah vol 2 p.81: “In most cases you will find the Raafidhah being either amongst: the heretics; hypocrites; atheists, or either amongst the ignorant ones that have no knowledge – not in that which is conveyed traditionally nor in that which is perceived by the intellects, and who instead were brought up amongst the nomads and the mountains or that they were secluded from the Muslims and so did not sit with the people of knowledge and religion. Or either among those that follow their desires from amongst those that have acquired authority and wealth by way of it, or that he has lineage/kinship by way of which he is fanatical such as was conducted by the people of (pre-Islamic) ignorance.” He said also in vol 1 p.69 of the same work: “Since there is not to be found amongst those that manifest Islaam any that are closer to hypocrisy and apostasy than them, likewise no apostates and hypocrites can be found in any group more-so than can be found amongst them…”
 The Shaikh stated similar as is found in 2/548/437 when he said: “Indeed the reason for the going astray of the Ash’arees and the Maatureedees in ‘Aqeedah was because they did not take the ‘Aqeedah from its principal source/reference – being The Book and the Sunnah. Rather they took the ‘Aqeedah from theology and rhetoric.”
 The Shaikh mentioned as is found in 2/532/335 that: “Imaam Ahmad declared them to be disbelievers, and he composed a chapter in his book ‘As-Sunnah’ as a proof of their disbelief.” He mentioned also as is found in 2/521/268 that when Imaam Ahmad was asked regarding the Raafidhah, he answered by saying that they are disbelievers. There are likewise a number of statements to be found from Imaam Ahmad in this regard such as his statement when asked by Aboo Bakr Al-Marwadhee who said: I asked Aboo Abdillaah (meaning Ahmad) regarding the one that reviles Aboo Bakr and ‘Umar and ‘Uthmaan and ‘Aa-ishah (radhiyallaahu ‘anhum), so he said: “I do not see him to be upon Islaam.” As well as the statement of ‘Abdullaah bin Ahmad bin Hanbal who said: I asked my father regarding a man that reviles a man from the companions of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam), so he said: “I do not see him to be upon Islaam.” (See: As-Sunnah of Aboo Bakr Ahmad bin Muhammad Al-Khallaal vol 3 p.493-494)
 Shaikh ul Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullaah) said as is found in Majmu’ Fataawa vol 28 p.483: “The people of knowledge have cited that the origin of Rafdh (i.e. the Raafidhee madhab) came from the heretic: ‘Abdullaah bin Saba, for he manifested Islaam whilst he concealed Judaism, and so sought to corrupt Islaam…”
 Shaikh ul Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullaah) said in Al-Fataawa al-Kubraa vol 4 p.445-447: “Indeed disparagement of the best generations that accompanied the Messenger is a disparagement of the Messenger (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa ‘alaa aalihi wa sallam) himself – as was stated by Maalik and other than him from the Imaams of knowledge.” He said also: “These ahaadeeth are Mustafeedhah (a term in the science of hadeeth denoting extensiveness) and in great frequency in transmission with regard to the excellence of the companions and in praise of them and of the preference of their generation over those that came after them from the generations. Therefore disparagement of them is a disparagement of The Qur’aan and the Sunnah. It is due to this that the people have spoken of the takfeer of the Raafidhah in that which we have elaborated in other than this place – and Allaah, The Glorified and Most High Knows best.”
 In speaking about the stance of the Ikhwaan Al-Muslimeen toward the Raafidhah and of their co-operation with them, Shaikh Zaid Al-Madkhalee (rahimahullaah) said: “So they take them (i.e. the Raafidhah) in general to be from the scholars of Islaam and the Muslims and so exchange with them love and friendship and co-operation under the claim that everyone is in agreement upon the fundamentals of Islaam, and that the differing – if any is to be found – then it is a difference in subsidiary matters over which it is possible to overcome and to remedy them and so some can then excuse others from the people in that. On this basis all of the scholars of the Raafidhah and the scholars of the Sunnah would be placed in one trench in proficient co-operation against the rulers of the present time, and that is in order to topple them and to establish a rightly guided Khilaafah – as the prominent authors of the Ikhwaan Al-Muslimeen have said…” (See: Al-Irhaab wa Athaaruhu ‘alal Afraad wal Umam p.50-51)
 Imaam Al-Lallakaa-ee (rahimahullaah) listed the names of over five hundred scholars from the early generations – all of whom opposed the belief of the Jahmiyyah saying: “The Qur’aan is the speech of Allaah – uncreated, and whoever says it is created then he is a disbeliever.” (See: Sharh Usool I’tiqaad Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaa’ah vol 1 p.300-344) There are a number of statements from the Salaf to this effect such as Imaam Ahmad’s statement to Abee Dawood As-Sijistaanee when he said: I said to Ahmad: “whoever says that the Qur’aan is created – is he a disbeliever?” he replied: “I say he is a disbeliever.” (See: Masaa-il Al-Imaam Ahmad, riwaayah Abee Dawood As-Sijistaanee p.353)
 The correct position of Ahlus Sunnah in this affair is that they say: Eemaan is the statement of the tongue, and the actions of the limbs and the belief of the heart, it increases with obedience and decreases with disobedience. (See: Lum‘atul I’tiqaad p.177 onwards – in particular the explanation of Shaikh Saalih Al-Fawzaan [hafidhahullaah] wherein he elaborates in detail with regards to this issue.)